Friday, September 10, 2010

Just Shoot Me...

I'm pretty excited. Once again, Pam Clapp at N Scale Magazine has exhausted every possible alternative, and pulled my submitted article out of her wastebasket to run in the November/December 2010 issue. To soften the blow for her readers, she's asked me to re-shoot one of the images to use as a cover shot. This way, the readers will lower their expectations before they purchase the issue, and subscribers will have the opportunity to toss the magazine on the burn pile as soon as it arrives in the mail. (What, Me Worry?)

Anyway, just to keep things interesting, the particular composition she wants me to re-shoot is smack dab in the middle of the reconstruction project. So over the last few evenings I've scurried up to the attic after work to repair the damage and perform the necessary reconstructive surgery.

I carved foam, I smeared Sculptamold, and planted trees. Last night I re-applied gloss medium to the river and touched up the waterfall, and it's all coming together nicely. Except, of course, the whole camera situation. I'm still working with a very sub-par point n' shoot, so I'm scrambling to get some help.


So, Sunday I'm expecting a visit from David K. Smith, the multiple published author, photographer and model railroading bon vivant, who is bringing his DSLR, a bag full of smoke and mirrors, and 1,000 watts of studio lighting. All the way from New Joisey, and all of this for a chicken dinner.

Now, I'm not going to spill the beans on the content of the article, you'll have to pick a copy up when it gets published. (I'm sure you'll hear about when that happens here...) But I can assure you that the cover photo will likely raise your expectations for the article, because the honorable DKS has a reputation for making objects in your mirror appear much closer than they actually are.

No comments:

Post a Comment