Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Slippery Slope...

I do this all the time... I've got a pile of projects that HAVE to be done, but I get myself all wrapped around stuff that I'd rather do. You know the feeling. There's that pesky turnout machine that requires about 10 minutes of laying on your back under the benchwork to make a 1/16th of an inch adjustment, but wouldnt' it be more fun to play with track to lay out the yard throat?

There's also screening to staple up around the helix to keep derailments from hitting the floor, or becoming eternally lost in the storage tubs that will live in the nether regions below the railroad, but that's not fun! Running trains up and down the helix, now THAT's fun!


With helpers, no less! I justify this goofing off with the idea that the helix should be well tested before I close it all up. But really, it's just goofing off.

Despite it all, it's still productive to do these things. I've got the crew coming down this weekend to help finish up a temporary connection so I can run the full circuit around the layout, so there are things that should be in place when they arrive, such as the panel that will carry the yard throat over the helix. And of course, you can't cut the panel to the appropriate size until you layout the track for the yard throat... So that's what I did tonight, even though it might be months before I actually build the yard. (Somehow I doubt that.)

There's still plenty to do, but it's pretty satisfying to get this piece of business out of the way. Tomorrow I promise I'll wire those switch machines. Honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment