Friday, June 18, 2010

Coming together...


I got to work on the layout some more last night, adding the sub roadbed for the staging yard, and installing the small helix to help the Thomas Sub reach the Elkins yard up on the top level (50").

Once I get the track laid in the staging yard, (and wired and tested...) I can start covering that area up. I've left ample access from below, so hopefully any "operator errors" will be able to be cleared from underneath.

The helix, well, that's another story. It's fairly tight, 24" x 30" at it's widest point, so it's a steep climb. I've already tested it, and a couple of diesels can pull a 20 car train of empty hoppers with reasonable dispatch. My Bachmann Consolidation steamer can also make the grade. Unfortunately, my K-2 Pacific can not... The tender binds on the engine cab.

Next time I get a decoder job on a Model Power Pacific I'll give that a whirl. Maybe there's another kitbash in my future.

Obviously, I won't be sending my 6-axle diesels and 89' pig flats up there... the Thomas Sub was known for coal and timber and short wheelbase engines grinding up steep, twisting rails. So even though it barely fits, the helix still fits. I'm hoping it adds to the operating interest of that part of the railroad. To make sure it doesn't detract from it, I'm working out a safety net made from fiberglass screening to make sure that any derailments in there don't ended up dropping 4' to the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment